Sunday, March 29, 2015

Finishing Off the Story

The first two minutes are almost done, with that I need to plan for the remaining three minutes of film. I know, I know. It sounds like a lot of work. Why did it take me 3 full weeks plus to work on 2 minutes? That's just me procrastinating, but with time running out, I've got to make a mad sprint for the finish line. Here's how.

I knew what I wanted the story to be about. Teru being rescued by the cat from getting his head cut off. That worked for the introduction perfectly, but now I needed more. After doing some research and watching similarly produced student made animations from schools such as California Institute of Arts and Ringling School of Arts, I noticed a similar trend. The story is short and sweet, gets to the point right away. Following that are scenes that seem more like filler to me, yet still work well in the constructs of the short film. One of my favorite examples of this is "Crayon Dragon," done by Toniko Pantoja. While 3 minutes in length, it has a great plot, great story, and does so seamlessly. This is exactly what I want for my own animation as well.


I also listened to compositions of songs, music and more to figure out what the tone and mood of the film would be. Thus the playful mood between the cat and Teru ultimately became a journey or tour around Japan through the eyes of a cat. This also helps stick to the theme of a children's family movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment